If you do everything by hand, caring for your lawn can take a lot more work than you’d think. There’s cutting your grass, of course, and managing weeds. But when it comes to lawn care, the biggest hassle (and expense) is watering.
Your lawn’s water needs change all the time. Temperature, season, humidity, day-to-day weather, local watering restrictions (triple the price per gallon if you water on Sundays in June, etc.) — there’s a lot more to watering your lawn than meets the eye.
And while some types of grass are more forgiving than others, a few watering missteps (or a period of unexpected rainfall) can kill your lawn, leaving you on the hook for costly sod, plus the labor it takes to dig up your old grass and replace it.
Watering often drives up your home’s environmental impact, too. You have to guess at your landscape’s water needs, and it’s easy to overwater, taking money out of your wallet and costing the environment as well.
Installing a watering timer is one of the simplest ways to streamline your lawn care. It will save you money, make your home more green, and give you back hours that you would have spent watering. Your plants will thank you, too — with consistent watering, they’ll grow faster and stronger.
Best of all, irrigation timers are inexpensive and easy to use. They’re one of the easiest ways to upgrade your home.
This guide will teach you everything you need to know about timers for watering your lawn, as well as which type is the best sprinkler timer for your needs.
What Is A Water Timer?
Water timers (also called irrigation timers or sprinkler timers) are one of the best ways to save money on your home expenses. Irrigation timers program your sprinklers or hoses to water at regular intervals. You can change them according to season, weather, and so on, and they’ll water your lawn automatically, ensuring that you never leave your lawn high and dry.
There are even smart watering timers that automatically adjust according to the weather, taking the guesswork out of lawn care and virtually eliminating excess watering.
Best of all, they are inexpensive. With the money you save on water, they usually pay for themselves within a few months.
Here’s a look at the three main types of water timer, along with our favorite pick for each type. Take a look and see which timer is right for you.
The 3 Main Types Of Water Timer
There are three main kinds of water timer on the market today: mechanical, digital, and smart home timers. Each type comes with its own set of benefits; which one is best for you depends on your watering needs.
Mechanical Water Timer
Mechanical watering timers are an old-school, tried-and-tested way to water your yard more efficiently.
A mechanical timer hooks directly to your faucet and works just like an egg timer in your kitchen — you twist the dial to whatever water duration you want and your faucet will shut off automatically when the timer is finished.
Mechanical timers are great for a few reasons:
- More convenient than hand watering. With a mechanical timer, you don’t have to spend hours watering. You can hook your mechanical timer up to a basic sprinkler, set it to whatever time you want, and go back to your life. It’ll take care of the rest.
- Conserve water. With a mechanical timer, you’ll never forget to turn off the water again. The timer will shut off automatically at the end of the cycle.
- Two-minute installation with no wiring. You don’t need batteries or a wiring system to install a mechanical hose watering timer. You just screw it onto your faucet and it’s ready to go.
- Great for renters. Mechanical timers don’t require any wiring for installation, which makes them the best sprinkler timer for renters. You’ll save money on your water bill and keep the yard in good shape, and you can unscrew the water timer and take it with you when you move out.
- Affordable. Mechanical timers don’t cost much and they’re built to last for years.
A mechanical faucet water timer is a simple and inexpensive way to take better care of your yard. Installation takes two minutes, and afterward you’ll never have to water by hand again.
Digital Water Timer
A digital watering timer automates your watering schedule, saving you time and money and reducing your home’s environmental impact.
Digital timers hook up to each sprinkler in your yard, allowing you to program all your watering from a single unit. Features include:
- Scheduled, automatic watering. With a digital timer, you’ll never forget to water again. You can set a weekly schedule from your console — for example, watering for 20 minutes at 6 AM every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday — and the timer will water automatically from there. Watering with a hose can take hours out of your summer, especially if you have a larger yard. A digital timer gives you all that time back.
- More vibrant plants. Hand watering with a hose is inconsistent — you may overwater some areas and underwater others. With a digital timer, your watering is consistent every time, which leads to healthier and more vibrant plants.
- Efficient watering. You can set a digital timer to water early in the morning, before the sun comes out. The cooler temperature and lack of sunlight means the water won’t evaporate, which significantly decreases your water bill and increases the amount of water that penetrates all the way to your plants’ root systems.
- Stress-free travel. Going on vacation or traveling for work? Digital water timers give you the freedom to travel without worry. No need to bug your neighbors or hire professional landscapers to water while you’re gone; your sprinklers will run automatically and you’ll return home to healthy, happy plants.
Save time, money, and the environment by switching to a high-efficiency digital irrigation timer.
B-hyve Smart Home WiFi Timer
The B-hyve is the future of lawn care. It monitors weather and the ecological needs of your yard and adapts automatically in real time, virtually eliminating excess water use. It also lets you monitor water usage and program your sprinklers from your phone.
The B-hyve Smart WiFi Timer’s smart lawn technology gives you maximum convenience and control. Features include:
- Water from anywhere using your smartphone. The B-hyve smartphone app gives you the freedom to control your watering in seconds from anywhere in the world, as if you were right next to your timer. You can monitor water usage and watering programs in real time to make sure your lawn is always in good shape.
- Fully automatic smart watering. The B-hyve’s WeatherSense technology monitors local weather changes to give your landscape the exact amount of water that it needs. By preventing excess water use, B-hyve can reduce your water bill by up to 50%.
- Manual scheduling options for total control. B-hyve offers a complete manual control option as well. Change your schedule in seconds using the phone or web app, or adjust them directly from the digital timer.
- Simple installation. B-hyve has both indoor and outdoor timer options, and you can replace your old timer with a B-hyve in under 5 minutes using only a drill and screwdriver. If you’re putting a water timer in your home for the first time, an irrigation specialist can help you with installation.
- More than 30 billion gallons of water saved. To date, the B-hyve’s smart watering system has saved more than 30 billion gallons of water, making it the most sustainable and environmentally friendly irrigation timer on the market. With its WeatherSense technology, the B-hyve knows exactly when your landscape needs water, virtually eliminating unnecessary water usage.
The B-hyve is WaterSense-approved by the Environmental Protection Agency, meaning it meets the highest criteria for environmental sustainability on the market. It protects the environment while saving you both time and money.
Upgrade Your Lawn Care Today
A water timer is a win-win: it makes your home more sustainable and saves you time and money, all while improving your lawn’s health.
There’s a watering timer for everyone, whether you want a simple mechanical timer, a digital timer, or a B-hyve smart home timer. Pick the one that best suits your needs and upgrade your lawn care today.